Friday Focus: Great Things I’ve Seen This Week at DGS!

The best part of my job (even though there are many things I love) is getting into the classrooms and observing the students and teachers doing what they do best: Learn and Teach! Each week I share in my staff memo (coined the Friday Focus) a list of great things I have observed throughout the week while in classrooms. Whereas this list is not comprehensive, I wanted to share just a peek of the learning and teaching that is going on this week at DGS!

• The use of the 5 rules from whole brain teaching has been a joy to watch. The rules are consistent across grade levels, easy to remember, and engaging for our kids.
  • The Chromebooks are out in classrooms and already getting used! I’ve seen them used to write google docs, access moby max, perform research, and develop GoodReads Accounts to maintain student book logs digitally!
  • I’ve seen some great TLAP activities going on; “Talking Sticks,” Spaghetti and Marshmallows, PlayDoh, IPICK books, technology, purple royal pens, book tastings, ect! Everyone has really done a fabulous job creating engaging and meaningful activities to welcome our students back this week. The environment and lessons we create have a direct impact on the engagement and motivation by our students.
  • Hands on science learning in 3rd grade using colored markers, water, and coffee filters to teach the scientific method.
  • Classes seizing transition times to maximize learning with reading emergencies and math flashcards
  • Positive Office Referrals turned in to recognize ROYAL skills! I enjoy sharing these positive notes with parents and at morning announcements!
  • Engaging parent presentations and technology connections with families during Back to School Nights. The use of blogs, twitter and ongoing parent communication fosters ‘glass classrooms’ and effective and efficient parent relationships and rapport!
  • “Intro to Counselor” sessions that used props to engage kids in the role of the counselor!
  • Introduction of the Buddy Bench!
  • Deputy Butterfield playing with kids on the playground! A great example of “Swimming with the Fish”
  • Classes seizing the awesome weather to take classes outside for learning opportunities