Leadership Lessons from Classic Country Music

I have an eclectic taste in music. It includes a little bit of everything and my radio dial is constantly changing based on my mood. A little known fact about me is that I love country classic music. Maybe it is because I grew up with parents that played the likes of Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Hank Williams, Randy Travis, and Waylon Jennings (just to name a few). Some of these artists have transcended decades and have made their mark on generations of music lovers, but my favorite songs are their classics. I spent many hours travelling in the back of the car listening to them playing the music that resonates across so many generations. In fact, I was actually named after Waylon Jenning’s song, “Amanda.” My dad would belt that song on Saturday mornings during my youth and thinking of those memories still brings a smile to my face. If it wasn’t that song, it was my mom blasting “Danger Zone” from Top Gun to wake us up for our chores. I preferred the country songs.

I guess that is why I look to music lyrics for leadership inspiration. So many of the songs I grew up listening have messages that ring true in powerful ways. I wanted to take note of a few of my favorites and highlight the lyrics that contribute to my educational philosophy. It’s interesting that so many of them are from one artist. For whatever reason, the words reflect my feelings on several levels. There are so many more songs that speak to me on more than a leadership level, but the following have stanzas and phrases that ring loudly to me.

Your Song/Garth Brooks

Everyone has a champion that has pushed them and encouraged them in one way or another to become successful. I’ve been enormously lucky to have a set of parents that have been my cheerleaders from day 1. My dad gave me a set of desktop encyclopedias (which are proudly displayed in my office now) with an inscription that said “Spread your Wings and Fly” on the day I graduated high school. My parents never cared WHAT I did when I grew up, as long as I pursued what brought me joy. I can distinctly remember sitting in a parking lot on the day I learned I earned my first principal-ship crying happy tears with my dad on the phone. I don’t know in that moment who was more ecstatic, him or me. I’ve always felt that my success has been a direct reflection of their unending support and love. They’ve given me my wings and I am forever grateful. This song speaks to that:

Knowing that your out there listening
I remember one time
When I was so afraid
Didn’t think I had the courage
To stand up on this stage
Then you reached into my heart
And you found the melody
And if there ever was somebody
Who made me believe in me
It was you
It was you

It was your song that made me sing
It was your voice that gave me wings
And it was your light that shined
Guiding my heart to find
This place where I belong
It was your song

The River/Garth Brooks

When was the last time you pushed yourself to try something new, take a risk, and challenge your thinking? When I hear this song, it reminds me to swim with the fish and not stand as a lifeguard in my leadership. It reminds me that my most fulfilling days at work are those that I am with my students, interacting and collaborating with my staff, and engaging with the parents and community. This song reiterates that my role as a principal is much more meaningfully served in the hallways and the classrooms of building rather than in the office. This song also embraces the growth-mindset mentality and encourages innovation and creativity. How can you now love this excerpt:

Too many times we stand aside and let the waters slip away
‘Til what we put off ’til tomorrow, has now become today.
So don’t you sit upon the shoreline and say you’re satisfied.
Choose to chance the rapids and dare to dance the tide

Standing Outside the Fire/Garth Brooks

This is actually one of the songs that led me to my major of special education. If you watch this music video, you can’t help but be inspired by the will of the child and the intense encouragement and love of his mother. Now as an educator, I put myself in that role. This song reminds me to question my effectiveness, challenge myself to push the envelope, and take risks to do new things!

Wanting to fly higher and higher
I can’t abide standing outside the fire

Life is not tried it is merely survived
If you’re standing outside the fire

Meet in the Middle/Diamond Rio

This song is about a couple making concessions and compromises as part of an ongoing relationship, but as a leader, it is a good reminder that finding a win-win often times means compromising on both ends.

You start walkin your way you start walkin mine
we meet in the middle neath that old Georgia pine
We gain a lot of ground cuz we both give a little
aint no road to long when we meet in the middle

Forever and Ever, Amen/Randy Travis

Nothing says country music more than this song and despite it’s intent, I see it as how we should approach education and children. Despite the challenges and behaviors that children can demonstrate, this song reminds me that we need to never close a door on a child and always support them emotionally and behaviorally. Kids need champions in their lives and someone that will unconditionally support and encourage them. This song reminds me to be a child’s cheerleader and advocate to the extent that I am able!

I’m gonna love you forever
Forever and ever, amen
As long as old men sit and talk about the weather
As long as old women sit and talk about old men

No matter the song, I feel there is value in the melody and lyrics. So many times, I can take the message and apply it in a meaningful way to my story as an educator and my role as a principal. What songs speak to you and challenge your thinking?

3 comments