When ADHD happens to YOU

And then the tables were turned…

I have been in education for 16 years. My career began as a special education teacher. My heart and work always focusing on students requiring extra support, time, attention, and energy and has led to my current position as a principal of a K-5 building. I cannot tell you how many meetings I have sat in with parents regarding the individual needs of their children. Each one focused on developing their strengths, but always speaking to what needed to be improved. I always felt that we worked hard on ensuring those meetings or conversations were gentle and child centered, but nothing changes your approach or perspective than your own personal experiences. 

in 2009, I had my first daughter. A little girl that brought more joy to our hearts that you can imagine. At 6 months old, I vividly remember our pediatrician smiling and sharing, “She’ll keep you on your toes, but she is going to make you proud.”

And she did and she has.

She is the most outgoing and hilarious little girl you will meet. She has a huge heart made of gold and is detail-oriented. She is a natural-leader with strong communication skills that will take her far in life. She has the innate ability to take in all sensory information in her environment and loves to help in the classroom. She is empathetic. Driven. Goal-Oriented. A great writer and story-teller. And we add to this list, ADHD… Just one of her characteristics that now is added to the list that makes her who she is.

Her engine has always run on over-drive. As a toddler, we were always amazed at her energy and zeal in life. She literally bounces off the furniture and tumbles and twirls where ever she goes and when ever she can. As she entered school, her zeal made the transition easy. Her ability to move, flex, and bend has made her into a very talented tumbler and competitive cheerleader, but has made it difficult to attend and focus in the classroom as she gets older.

A different pediatrician, with equally insightful knowledge, shared, “She can have it all, but not all at the same time.” So where her strengths are advantageous in one situation, they hinder her in others.

That led us to a few Vanderbilt rating scales, emails, meetings, tearful conversations, and ultimately a diagnosis of ADHD.

The tables were turned.

I look at my daughter and all that she IS capable. All that she IS going to accomplish in life. All the areas she IS strong in.

I look back at some of the meetings held, conversations had, emails shared, IEP or 504 plans created and I now have a different perspective. I have always said I want to be the educator and principal that I would want for my own children and I mean that more than ever.

My daughter. Our students. Every Child., need the same care, commitment and compassion that our family has had along the way.  We need educators to recognize that despite student challenges, that they also have incredible strengths and abilities. That a diagnosis does not change a child, but brings light to who they are and strengthens what they are meant to be.

She is NOT ADHD. She has ADHD, just as much as she has strength, power, a sense of humor, leadership, and a natural ability to bring joy to anyone she meets. ADHD does not define her, but is part of her definition. She will continue to be defined by her strong-will, outgoing spirit, and big heart.

As for me, I will be a more compassionate, understanding and empathetic principal and educator because that is what happens, when it happens to You!

3 comments

• Love this! I can relate as we still have our “moments” with our now freshman! Everyday is a challenge for him and me. Figuring out what works best.

• Thanks so much for sharing! Every child deserves to be loved and respected. We are also growing everyday as a parent through the interaction with the kids. I believe you would be a great mom for your daughter and a great principal for DGS students.

• Whew. That fine line where a strength is also a weakness is hardest to navigate and accept and embrace. I’ve always felt you were on his side. Thank you