Book Review: Relentless

Any time I get to read a book published by Dave Burgess Consulting, I know I am going to be inspired and encouraged to improve my leadership and educational practices. With the hype around the “Tattooed Skateboarding Principal,” Hamish Brewer, and his book “Relentless” I had high expectations.

I received it following my second day of “summer break” and was ecstatic to open my Amazon box of summer books. His was the obvious choice to pull out first.

I was NOT disappointed.

By looking from the outside, Hamish and I do not share many characteristics. Our childhood stories are very different. Our paths to teaching and leading are not similar. What we do share is a passion for kids and a unwavering desire to make change.

I plowed through his book in a three hour trip to do a speaking engagement. As my husband drove and listened to talk radio, I was engulfed in Hamish’s manifesto. Hamish makes his clear and poingnet point in the first chapter that resounds throughout the book: It’s not rocket science; it’s relationships.  Every further underline, margin note, starred paragraph, dog-eared page, or highlighted sentence is an extension of this simple, yet often underappreciated sentiment. I still have the thought that children don’t seek attention, they seek relationships resonated through my mind as I reflect on this truth.

Some “takeaways” that I will be sure to share in more detail with my staff (and that you should read more about in his book) include;

• Going “one more round” and serving the students, staff and school with integrity and character
  • Value the success of the team over individual success
  • Lead and teach for the opportunity, not the obligation
  • Recognize that making progress and growing as a school leader and staff is not about one big win, but doing the little things well, consistently and effectively.
  •  Remembering that our students are the most important resources in our building and profession
  • Discipline is not about being out to punish our kids, but helping them learn replacement behaviors
  • All children are opportunities for greatness
  • We cannot replace quality and amazing teachers with programs or strategies. Improving schools isn’t just about test scores. School improvement should also work to improve culture, practices, brand and teacher engagement

Action Steps for me as a result of reading the book that I intend to address and embed in the 2019-2020 school year include:

• introducing the word ‘love’ into the everyday vocabulary of our school. Read page 43. It touched me.
  • Reflect on two questions each night: Was I better for kids today? Did I give everything I had for the team around me?
  • Seek feedback from families and students; ” What are three things you love about our school?” and “What are three things you would love to see grow at our school?”
  • Seek to continue opportunities to build community with our “Royal Families” as Hamish does with his “tribes”

As you can see by the post-its adhering to the edges of the book, I am so thankful for Hamish’s words and inspirational story. He told a poignant story of triumph and the power in being RELENTLESS.