Student Led IEPS

As a previous special education teacher, I found a lot of value in developing learners that were engaged, empowered, and their own best advocates. A key strategy for developing students that had those characteristics was the deployment of student led IEPS. Since becoming a principal, it’s been a joy to watch students review their own goals, develop ownership of their own Individualized Education Plan (IEP), and defend their need for particular accommodations. During this process, students develop critical communication skills and sense of pride.

I recently received an email from a local teacher that found some of my resources that were published on a wiki I maintained as a teacher. I felt it would be beneficial to compile these resources as they are still relevant and beneficial in setting up a structure for student led IEPS.

Developing a structure for deploying IEPs starts with understand the rationale for it. I wrote and published an article on this very topic that you can read at:

empowerment-through-engagement-implementing-student-led-ieps

Shortly after publishing the article, I presented at the National Quality in Education Conference on the topic. This presentation offers a step-by-step framework and timeline for engaging in this process. You can view it at:

NQEC Presentation

The first step in developing students that are self-advocates is for them to understand their individualized needs and the IEP document. I initially discussed this by reviewing a powerpoint that introduced students to their IEPS.

An Introduction to your IEP

I need to reinforce that I believe that students at all grade levels and with all levels of needs are capable of being involved in their IEP in some capacity. Whereas these materials were developed for 3-5th graders in a cross-categorical resource setting, I’ve also seen student led or student involved IEPs done at lower grade levels and with various abilities and/or behaviors. Ideas for replication and accommodation may include video recording, creation of an iMovie, or picture presentation developed prior to the IEP meeting.

Following the introduction presentation, I developed a scavenger hunt that students can use in conjunction with their IEP to locate components of the IEP and their needs. Over time, I had to modify it and have included a version both in word and in board maker depending on students’ needs. Students may also use the IEP Components IEP to review the various parts of their IEP as well as use it as a communication map or checklist when preparing for their Annual Review.

IEP Scavenger Hunt_Board Maker

IEP_Components_Lotus

Students in a classroom focused on student ownership and accountability provide multiple ways for students to track their goals and data. There are various resources to develop charts, graphs, and goal setting forms for students to maintain in a student data binder. These can be maintained digitally or on paper in a binder. Evernote and See Saw are just two apps that can be used to maintain student data binders on tablets. Below are various charts/graphs templates that can be edited and used for students to track their data.

IEP Goal Tracking

Radar_ Classhomework

Radar_Chart-Behavior

Radar_Chart-Generic

Radar Chart-Reading

generic_40_12

MAZE Scattergram

MCAP Scattergram

scattergram 2

scattergramgeneric_80_12

As students prepare for their Annual Review, a template is provided to ensure they review each vital and required part of the IEP. This includes collecting feedback from IEP team members (their parents, related services staff, and their general education teachers).

IEP_Presentation_Template

Accommodations-Think-Sheet

IEP Lotus_Parent Feedback

IEP-Lotus_Teacher

To reflect on the IEP process, students can be involved in collecting and interpreting data related to the success of the IEP. Asking for feedback from parents and from the students also allows the case manager/special education teacher to determine areas of improvement for future annual reviews.

Post-IEP feedback form

Student Led IEP Survey

The student-led IEP process is on-going. It is designed for students to be engaged in throughout the year as they interact and monitor their goals, advocate for their needs, and share their growth with their IEP team. Once a new Annual Review is held, the process replicates itself as students begin tracking new and/or ongoing goals and sharing their progress. This process is also part of  a larger school wide focus on continuous improvement and the development of a classroom learning community for all students that includes development of mission statements, goals, and classroom meetings.