Book Review: No Ego

Most times when I login to my Amazon account, I am given a plethora of ‘recommendations” for future purchases. These recommendations, based off previous purchase history, are often household items for the daily operations of our home, clothing, and books. When I saw “No EGO” amongst the recommendations for books, I was intrigued by the title and clicked on it to read more.

The subtitle states: “How leaders can cut the cost of workplace drama, end entitlement and drive big results.” It spoke to me. I ordered it and enjoyed an evening multi-tasking between watching the NHL Finals and reading it.

I know we would all like to think we aren’t susceptible to ‘drama’ in the workplace, but the truth is, it is prevalent in most organizations or companies. No Ego gave practical reflection questions, exercises and insights to support leading in any organization.

Some core beliefs to maintain:

• Always assume noble  intent
  • Circumstances are not the reason you can’t succeed. They are the reality in which you must succeed.
  • Stop believing everything you think
  • Engagement without accountability creates entitlement

Dispositions to Develop:

• Mental flexibility
  • Self-reflection
  • Taking accountability
  • Forgiveness
  • Letting go
  • Moving on

Reflection Questions:

• What do you know for sure?
  • What is your role in this?
  • What are you trying to create? What do you want and what are you willing to do to get that?
  • What would be most helpful in this situation?
  • What are your ideas for resolving the issue? What could be done next to add value to this situation?
  • How can you succeed in the circumstances as they exist?
  • What are you doing to help?  What could you do right now?
  • What would “great” look like right now

My call to action as a leader:

• Check my own ego before I engage with others
  • Serve gently, but make a call to greatness and work with those willing to answer the call
  • Remember that potential in others is limitless

No Ego was a reality based book with a no frills approach to direct and reflective leadership. As a result of reading this book, I feel more inspired and equipped to manage challenging conversations, steer productive problem-solving, and lead my school to greatness!